At Baileborough, 8 miles (13km) west from Kingscourt, the Catholic church has notable stations of the cross by George Collie, R.H.A. A quiet and unpretentious little town. Worth a visit for those who want to deviate from the traditional tourist routes.
An ideal location for touring as both Killykeen Forest Park and Lough Oughter are located nearby.
Seven miles (11 km) west of Belturbet near the Fermanagh border is a well-known coarse fishing centre, Ballyconnell. According to tradition, it is named after Conal Cearnach, a first-century hero of the Red Branch Knights, who was killed here by the men of Connacht in revenge for the slaying of their king. Above the village rises Slieve Russell (1331 feet), providing extensive views.
Ballyhaise located just south of the Annalee river in north Cavan along the R212.
The little town of Ballyjamesduff, celebratd in song by Percy French, is built on the slope of a hill. North of Lough’s Sheelin and Ramor a good base for the fisherman.
Located along the N87 road that leads to Florence Court. Bawnboy is a located on the south western foothills of Slieve Rushen mountain.
A market town on the east bank of the River Erne, midway between the waters of Lough Oughter and Upper Lough Erne, Belturbet is an ideal coarse fishing centre. A two-hour river cruise is available during summer months.
A tiny village located on the opposite side of the Fermanagh border from Belcoo. Blacklion is on the shores of Lough Macnean Upper. Notable attractions in the area include Marble Arch caves and Florence Court.
At Butlersbridge on the Annalee River there is coarse fishing with boats for hire. It also contains a very photogenic inn which is popular stopping place on the road.
The county town, is in a pleasant district of low green hills. In ancient times it was the seat of the rulers of east Breifne, the O’Reillys. Their main residence was on Tullymongan Hill, on the outskirts of the town. Of the Franciscan Friary founded in 1300 by Giolla Iosa O’Reilly, only the belfry tower remains. A plaque on the wall commemorates Owen Roe O’Neill, the victor of Benburg, who was buried in the chancel of the friary in 1649.
Cootehill gets its name from the 17th century marriage of Thomas Coote – a Cromwellian colonel – to Frances Hill from Hillsborough. A charter was granted to another Thomas Coote in 1725 to hold fairs and markets on his estate, and thus the town began. Nearby, Bellamont Manor (the home of Thomas Coote) was built in the same year as the charter. The house is a wonderful example of Palladian architecture and was designed by Lovett-Pearce. The house is private but the grounds offer lovely walks. The town of Cootehill is an important angling centre.
Killykeen forest park lies just to the north of Crossdoney, as does Lough Oughter. Cavan town is a close distance away meaning that urban and rural attractions can be enjoyed in equal measure.
The small village of Killeshandra is an anglers paradise. Next to the island dotted lake of Lough Oughter and Portaliffe Lake. Killykeen Forest Park is a nearby attraction, and also Clough Oughter Castle, with it’s de Lacy 13th century castle standing on as island. This site was excavated in 1987, and human remains dating from the Cromwellian siege were found.
Kilnaleck located just north of Lough Sheelin lies along the R154 road. A good touring centre with ideal wild trout, pike , perch course fishing lakes close by. Also, , Beautiful countryside, Golf, and Pitch and Putt.
Kingscourt, a little town 8 miles (13km) south-east of Shercock, has modern industries based on the rich gypsum deposits of the area. In the nearby Cabra demesne is the wishing-well featured in the song ‘Doonaree’, located at Dun-a-Ri National Forest Park, set in the area of outstanding beauty, part of which is maintained for public recreation and amenity.
Lisnageer is found just outside of Cootehill, on the border with County Monaghan.
Beside the County Longford border 13 miles (21km) south-west of Cavan is the little town of Gowna, beside beautiful Lough Gowna- source of the River Erne. Lough Gowna is a good coarse fishing lake.
Mountnugent is a little village located by the eastern banks of Lough Sheelin.
Just east of Lough Ramor lies the little village of Mullagh. A short distance from County Meath and a large number of historic monuments.
A short distance from the Monaghan and Fermanagh borders, Redhills is a village in a good location for fishing in the nearby lakes.
Shercock is in a fabulous location at the southern end of Lough Silan. Nearby are the borders with Monaghan and Louth.
Virginia was built during the reign of King James I, however it was named after the virgin queen of England, Elizabeth I. An important angling centre, the mature trees, ample streets and handsome buildings give the village a graceful air of bygone days.