Ardmore, on Ardmore Bay, is an attractive little resort with a long sandy beach and a language college. It is renowned for a fine group of ecclesiastical remains, on the site of a seventh century settlement founded by Saint Declan.
This quiet market town lies beneath the southern slopes of the Knockmealdown Mountains and at the head of the tidal River Blackwater estuary. The surrounding country is well wooded and very beautiful, especially along the Blackwater Valley westwards to Fermoy, County Cork.
This quaint fishing village situated where the river Suir meets the twin rivers of the Barrow and the Nore has a long and rich maritime history. A man from this area sailed with Captain Cooke around the world. The river view especially from the hill above the village and the fish food restaurants make a trip to this village a must.
Dungarvan is situated on Dungarvan Harbour, with the Comeragh and Monavullagh Mountains to the north. There is a causeway and bridge across the river Colligan connecting the town with its Abbeyside suburb. Dungarvan is a busy marketing centre and has a leather processing works. It is also Waterford’s largest coastal town, and has a bustling fishing industry. Dungarvan is a popular base for climbers and hikers.
Dunmore East is a small fishing village southeast of Waterford. It is built in the Breton style, and has several thatched cottages and a number of coves, including Badgers Cove and Ladies Cove. At the entrance to the large fishing and yachting harbour is an anchor recovered from Waterford harbour and believed to have come from 18C merchantman. There are forest walks beside the Ballymacaw Road.
Kilmacthomas, Coill Mhic Thomaisin – The Wood of the Son of Thomas. Located half way between Dungarvan and Waterford, Kilmacthomas is a good base for walking and hill climbing in the area. The film star Tyrone Power, great grandson of the actor and comedian Tyrone Power (1797-1841) was a native of Kilmacthomas. Two famous Gaelic poets lived and composed here, these being Tadhg Gaelach O Suilleabhain, and Donacha Rua Mac Conmara. There is a pleasant public park in Kilmacthomas, a stiking feature of which is the railway bridge which is now unused. It is a viaduct built in the 1860’s, with eight arches.
Lismore meaning Mochudas great enclosure. Lismore is on the south bank of the Blackwater, 6km from Cappoquin. There is salmon, sea and brown trout fishing, through permits are required from the secretary of the Lismore Estate. The Lismore Heritage Centre in the Town Hall provides and entertaining cinematic presentation of the history of Lismore and the area around it, during the season.
Passage East is a small , friendly fishing village oriented around two open squares. The fishing village is built beneath a high escarpment with small squares and streets; there are no fewer than three quays: Boathouse Quay. Haketts Quay and Middle Quay. From here people can hop on the ferry that crosses the River Suir to the Wexford side Ballyhack. Passage East hosts the Mussel Festival in September which features exhibitions, cooking demonstrations, fishing tips and mussel tasting. It was here that Strongbow landed in 1170, and a year later that Henry II landed with 4,000 men in 400 ships.
Whether it likes the distinction or not, Slieverue heralds the Ferrybank suburb of Waterford City but retains its Kilkenny (or Ossory) connection. Its Roman Catholic Church is wortht a visit as an example of Gothic Revival architecture, pioneered by Pugin. This church is by Ashlin and Coleman. The pre-historic significance of the area is emphasised by 3 pillarstones, called ‘Three Friars’ at Nicholastown. John O’Donovan (1806-1861), the great Irish historian and field recorder, was born here in the townland of Attateemore. Few parishes in Ireand escaped his pen or his tireless and comprehensive inspection. The Irish Government isssued a commemorative stamp in his honour in 1962.
Also with a good sandy beach is Stradbally, 5 miles (8 km) west of bunmahon. There are cliff walks and little sandy coves near by. The land adjoining the beach is a part of the Woodhouse demesne that is open to the public.
Five miles south of Lismore is the quiet little town of Tallow, on the Glenaboy River near where the stream joins the river Bride. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries this was a busy place with several thriving industries. The sculptor John Hogan (1800-1858) was born here. Tallow Hill (592 feet), less than a mile (2 km) north-east, has fine views. A half mile (1 km) west of Tallowbridge village is the ruined keep of Lisfinny Castle, an ancient fortress of the Fitzgeralds.
Tramore meaning The Great Beach. Tramore is 13km south of Waterford city, is one of Ireland’s most popular seaside resorts. Situated on a hill side overlooking Tramore Bay, it has a fine promenade and a sandy bathing beach 5km long. Tramore also has a large amusement park. The town is built on steep hills rising from the beach. There are fine walks, with extensive sea views, along the Doneraile cliffs south. Great Newtown Head west across the bay is crowned by three early 19c navigational pillars, one of which is surmounted by the Tramore Metal Man, a cast iron figure, with pale blue jacket and white trousers,erected in 1823 as a warning to shipping.
Waterford city was founded by the Vikings in 853, and was later extended by the Anglo Normans. It is set in a commanding site on the River Suir’s estuary, and became in time the southeasts main seaport. During the 18th century onwards, the industry of the city prospered, most famously it’s glass industry. The strong commercialism still exists today, and the port is still one of Ireland’s busiest. Waterford not only boasts some of the most beautiful countryside in Ireland, particularly the splendid scenery of West Waterford’s mountain passes, but you will also find a spectacular coast line with miles of safe sandy beaches, perfect for the whole family.
With its long sandy beach and the back drop of wooded hills, Woodstown is a lovely place for children and adults. Just to walk the strand or woods or pick shells or cast a line; memories will abound after a sojourn on this sylvan beach.