Located within easy distance of several excellent beaches Ballygarrett is located close to Cahore Point.
This charming fishing village at the mouth for the River Barrow, is the starting point of the 77km Wexford coastal pathwalk. It is dominated by its historical 15th century crusader castle. The busy river/car ferry, which connects Ballyhack to Waterford at passage East, is an interesting way to tour the scenic routes of the new Ross area, located just a few kilometres from Fethard.
The number one in County Wexford in the Bord Failte tidy towns competition for many years now. The central feature of this quaint off shore village are its spotless, clean, litter free streets adorned with ornamental side walks and spectacular flowerbeds. Safe sandy beaches are only a short distance from the village. Blackwater has a good weekly entertainment calendar for the visitor and tourist with film shows, bingo sessions, drama and comedy either in the local Community Centre or the village lounges. First class caravan parks and accommodation is available locally.
Located on the R736 between Duncormick and Tagoat.
A small village in the southeast of County Wexford. Nearby Yola Farmstead features among the top 20 attractions of County Wexford.
Bree is a scenic location that has strong historic links with the Gentry. Irish history and literature is pervaded by this once influential aristocratic landowning class. The symbol of their wealth and influence was the mansion, or, Big House, usually located where the surrounding scenery would enhance its appearance. Many fine examples exists throughout the Slaney Region, including Bree. There is plenty in this locality to intrigue and entertain. Golfing, fishing, horseriding and other pursuits are well catered for. A complete itinerary for the visitor is available from the Community Office in the village.
Bunclody lies in a lovely location, at the foot of the Blackstairs Mountains, bordered by the broad sweep of the Slaney River. As a holiday location the town and accommodation available in the area provide an ideal base for canoeing, fishing, cycling, hill walking, even handgliding. Mount Leinster, 2,610 feet and 11km from Bunclody, is rated one of the best venues for handgliding. If the visitor just wants to get away from it all, relax, have a drink and a chat with the locals, there is a wide variety of pubs to provide ceol agus craic.
This village grew up around Dunbrody Abbey, one of the most imposing Cistercian abbeys. The abbey dates back to the early 13th century. Campile derives its name from the river Pil on which it is located. It became well known in the 1940’s, when it was accidentally bombed by Hitler’s Luftwaffe.
Home to a small museum that contains an ancient church, motte, holy well and period farmyard. Located on the main N11 road that connects Dublin to the south coast, Camolin runs alongside the River Bann.
A little village that lies just outisde of the nort side of Wexford harbour. Close to Wexford’s Nature Reserves.
The urban village of Clonroche was founded after the Cromwellian wars c.1668. The village developed astride the coach road linking Wicklow and Waterford. The Village is situated in south east Ireland in County Wexford With a population of over four hundred the village is 40km from the Roslare/Fishgard ferry port, 40km from Waterford Airport and 120km south of Dublin. Clonroche is the premier soft fruit growing area in Ireland. Eighty per cent of the strawberry, blackcurrant, and raspberry crop emanating from here.
Courtown on the Ounavarra river, is a beautiful harbour resort with miles of soft golden beaches, safe swimming and a huge choice of attractions and activities for children and their parents. Long and popular holiday playground, Courtown is set in the sunny east of Ireland and has one of the country’s lowest annual ranifalls and the lowest tidal movement.
A little village located just to the north of Enniskerry.
Wexfords coastline is blessed with beautiful beaches. Prime among them is the Blue Flag beach at Curracloe, a particularly safe area for bathing. Situated about 24km from Enniscorthy, the area has been sensitively developed as an amenity for visitors to enjoy.
A small seaside village located between Rosslare and Wexford town.
This is a pleasant seaside resort with a good sandy beach, on the eastern shore of Waterford Harbour. On a rocky headland guarding the approach to the estuary is Duncannon Fort, covering an area of about three acres. This was the site of the prehistoric dun of Conan, after which the town was named. In the twelfth century it was selected for defensive purposes by the Anglo-Normans, and in 1588 the English government strengthened the fortifications as a precaution against the Spanish Armada. During the wars of the seventeenth century the fort was taken by the Confederate Catholics after a two-month siege. It was later defended against a Cromwellian force, and only surrendered in 1650 after the capitulation of Waterford.
Duncormick is a stop on the beautiful Bannow Drive. A plaque on the summer cottage of P.J. McCall, commemorates the author of many ballads including “Bollavogue”, a song associated with the 1798 rebellion.
Enniscorthy is an old Norman settlement and is situated on the banks of the River Slaney overlooked by the old 1798 battle site of Vinegar Hill. On the west bank of the river, the Gothic church of Saint Aidans reminds us that Enniscorthy is the Cathedraltown of the county. Designed by Pugin in 1847, Saint Aidans tall spire, fine doorway and exquisite east window are recommended viewing. Dominating the town is the Norman Castle which was completed in 1205 and now houses the County Wexford Folk Museum. Just down the road by car there are beaches, forest and river walks as well as ancient Dolmens and Bronze Age remains. Enniscorthy and its environs has a well developed crafts industry most particularly in pottery, for which it is justifiably renowned.
Ferns today is a village living in the shadow of its own history. A neat unpretentious little place, the village is abounded on all sides by the evidence of its illustrious past. Ferns has exerted a profound influence on Irish history and this explains why there are so many historic ruins in one small area. The most impressive of these is Ferns Castle, a shattered fortress built by the Normans in the 13th century, now partly restored. Others include the 12th century Abbey of Saint Mary with its unusual shaped belfry, Saint Peters Church, Saint Mogues Well, the waters of which are believed to have curative properties, and the heads of four High Crosses dating back to the 8th or 9th centuries.
Fethard on Sea
Fethard-on-sea (The High Wood) is a quiet little resort on the eastern side of the Hook Peninsula, convenient to many fine sandy beaches. The Hook Tower is probably the oldest lighthouse in Europe, built in the twelfth century. Amenities include all types of sea fishing, sub aqua and water sports. It was once a town of some importance, being made a borough in the reign of James II. Although the place was almost deserted at the time of the Act of Union in 1800, its owners received ?15,000 to compensate for its disenfranchisement.
This charming little village 15km west if New Ross, set on the River Nore, is believed to have been founded by Saint Columbia. An Augustinian priory, built in 1206, later became its main centre. The river at this point, provided excellent fishing as well as contributing to the natural unique beauty of this village reminiscent of Ireland in a bygone age. The charm on Inistioge has attracted film, makers and has been the location for two international films. Widows Peak and Circle of Friends.
Gorey first appeared as an existing town in Norman records in 1296. It is a carefully planned town with a wide Main Street boulevard and street plan, much like the plantation towns of North Wexford. The Church of Ireland parish church dates from 1861.The town Market House held prisoners of all sides during the holocaust of 1798, while Goreys streets and surrounding areas were wincing with the sould of marching feet and open debauchery. Saint Michaels Catholic parish church was designed by the world famous architect Pugin, who is said to have been inspired by Dunbrody Abbey for his work on Saint Michaels. Pugin also designed the Loreto Convent which is beside Saint Michaels.
A picturesque little village along the banks of the Slaney river. Killurin is within a short distance of the Irish National Heritage Park and Selskar Abbey.
This picturesque seaside village of thatched cottages is noted for its fishing industry. From the harbour there is a pleasing view over the flat coast stretching for miles eastwards. Kilmore has a flourishing sea angling club and the waters in the area offer mackerel, sole, gurnard, ray and flatfish.
Located in County Wexford this neat little fishing village is about 20 miles from the centre of Wexford. Ireland’s largest bird Sanctuary is to be found in near Kilmore Quay which is well worth a visit for any nature lovers.
Kilmuckridge is located north of Blackwater. It is yet another pretty Wexford village. A turn to the right in the village leads to Morriscastle beach, (5 km) , a fine long strand. Nearby is Lalor’s Pitch and Putt facility. The village provides the visitor with a good selection of pubs, cafes and restaurants. Boggan’s pub hosts summer theatre perfomances. Just outside the village, Kilmuckridge Pottery displays many novel and unusual pieces of handpainted ceramics.
In the shadow of the Blackstair mountains, magnificent views of Black Rock Mountain and Mount Leinster are available around the vicinity of the village. At the entrance to the village of Kiltealy, a memorial plaque commemorates a local stallion, Sky Boy, a champion sire(1970 -1993).
New Bawn is located in the heart of County Wexford. The major attractions of John F. Kennedy Park, Selskar Abbey and the Irish National Heritage Park are close by.
New Ross is located on the banks of the river Barrow, 34km west of Wexford town. There are now more things to do in New ross than ever before as it has become more tourist orientated. If you are interested in tracing your family roots in the Wexford region then contact the John F Kennedy Trust who are located in the Tourist Office on Quay Street. Saint Mary’s Church a Gothic building which is located in Church Lane is recommended a visit, the church dates 13th century but time has taken its toll and all that now remains it a ruin. Contained inside the ruin is a great collection of early medieval tombstones.The river Barrow provides the visitor with unlimited activities such as angling and boat cruising. Also there are enjoyable walks along the Barrow.
Rosslare is a pleasant and popular seaside resort which boasts a most attractive long beach, and various sporting facilities. The ferry terminal at Rosslare Harbour provides passenger services from Ireland to South Wales and the ports of northern France.
The name derives from the Irish Teach Munnu, or the house of Munnu, a local saint who founded a monastery here. The head and base of St Munnu’s Cross is in the graveyard and there is a holy well in the village, commemorating the saint.
Wellington Bridge is the starting point for the new signposted Bannow Drive. Just a short distance away, the first Normans to arrive in Ireland landed. Along the route is Coolhull Castle, an excellent example of an extended tower house. The area is rich in Irish music and visitors also have choice of lovely beaches, shore fishing and horse-riding. Bannow Bay is also a noted area for bird watching, particularly in Winter.
A maritime town whose very name underscores it’s Viking origin. On the eastern seaboard of Ireland, located at the mouth of a fine natural harbour, Wexford offers the visitor a delightful maze of meandering streets, lanes and passage-ways. Everywhere is the all prevailing sense of a maritime centre of great antiquity. At its core is tangible evidence of its Norman period, especially in its delightfully presented Heritage Centre, in the fully restored Westgate Tower.