Situated on Lough Macnean Lower is Belcoo. This beautiful location is also a good touring base. Near to Marble Arch Caves, Florence Court House, Ulster Way, Ballintempo forest.
In the heart of the Fermanagh Lakelands is Bellanaleck. Lough Erne Upper and Lower surround this little village. Castle Coole and the family Heritage Museum are all in close proximity.
Belleek is on the border with the Republic (a little bit of the village is actually in the south) and also marks the end of the Erne navigation. The current at the low bridge opposite the famous pottery reaches 6 knots on occasion, and a sluice here controls the level of Lough Erne. There are nice water-side holiday chalets in Belleek and the village hosts an annual fiddle festival when fiddlers from all over Ireland arrive for a weekend of traditional Irish music-making.
Derrygonnelly is an 1830’s village with a harmonious main street lined with two storey houses, shops and bars, one of which has a remarkable collection of over 100 antique clocks all ticking and striking away. Just north of the village is a small ruined church that combines medieval and Renaissance features, built in 1627 by Sir John Dunbar. His arms are over the doorway.
A small village close to the Tyrone border. Drumskinny is in the heart of the Fermanagh Lakelands. Lough Derg and Lough Erne are located nearby.
Situated in the centre of the county of Fermanagh, Enniskellen is the largest town in the county. The town is filled with small independently run shops that will enthrill the visiting tourist. There are a number of historical features to this town, St. MacCartan’s Church Of Ireland Cathedral. Famous for its Bells and archetiture this Cathedral built pre 1875 is a focal point of the town. Something of real note that a visitor to Enniskillen may take home with them is the proximity of the Lough’s to the town. Moorings just outside the town centre certainly ease the pressure for parking spaces and add a continental feel to the town.
Surrounded by mountains the robust yet eccentric house has flamboyant Rococo plasterwork of the highest quality, with fine furniture to match. A forest park with excellent walks and a fine walled garden, add to its attractions.
Five miles south of Belleek, Garrison has a fine situation at the eastern end of Lough Melvin; it is an angling centre for this lake, most of which is on the County Donegal side of the border. The lake has a good run of spring salmon and it holds three genetically distinct sub species of wild trout (sonaghan, gillaroo and ferox), as well as big brown trout and char, another salmonid, all with very distinct appearances and feeding habits. From Garrison, which has an outdoor pursuits centre with dormitory accommodation and sports facility hire – just by the small beach – it is 13 miles (21 km) south west of the border village Belcoo, between Upper and Lower Lough Macnean. There are good views of these lakes and the surrounding hills on the way.
Irvinestown is enlivened in summer by a 10-day carnival. A clock tower with pinnacled battlements is all that is left of the 1734 church of Dr Patrick Delany, then rector at Irvinestown, later dean of Down.
The beaufiful village of Kesh is located near Fermanagh’s largest lake, Lough Erne. The lough is 50 miles long and is now joined to the River Shannon by the Shannon/Erne waterway, making it the longest navigable inland waterway in Europe.
A border village that is ideally based for the angler. The expansive lower Lough Erne is a short distance away. In addition there are innumerate other lakes, loughs, streams and rivers nearby.
Lisbellaw is found in central Fermanagh between the expanses of Upper and Lower Lough Erne.
A small village located between the Tyrone border and Lower Lough Erne. An ideal fishing base.
The second largest town in the county with a population of about 2,500. It is small compared to other major towns in Ireland but still has plenty of charm. During the times of the plantations Sir Michael Balfour took control of the town, but the control changed many times throughout the past. Historically the town is not lacking also, just off the Main Street can be found the ruins of Castle Balfour, built in 1618 by the Balfour’s. The castle was inhabited right up to the early 19th Century and is currently undergoing a restoration programme to return it to something approaching its former glory as the focal point of the village.
About 10 kilometres northwest of Enniskillen is Monea. The castle was built by the Rev. Hamilton in 1618.
Near this villlage the Protestants of Fermanagh won a victory over Jacobite forces in 1689. Crom Castle, seat of the Earl of Erne, stands in a beautifully wooded demesne, open to the public through the National Trust, 3 1/2 miles to the south-east. Here also are the ruins of the older castle, erected in 1611. In the ground near by is an ancient yew tree, said to be the largest in Ireland.
Roslea is located on the Fermanagh-Monaghan border, from Carn rock the visitor can see all the counties in Ulster. The village gained notoriety recently when President Clinton discovered his ancestors are from this village. For the fisherman there are numerous lakes in the area, swimming is available in some, although best to seek local advice in advance for safest positions.
Located just east of Lough Erne is Tempo. The surrounding countryside is beautiful being located in the Fermanagh Lakelands.